Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Muscles I never knew I had

After finding out I was broken, I headed over this morning, and my dad and sister showed me how I was using my traps, and not my back.

I watched my dad do an exercise wherein you lie flat on your stomach on a bench, hold your forearms parallel to your body, and extend them forward, then back. He was huffing and puffing over what looked extremely simple.

Then it was my turn.

I could immediately feel how I used my traps when I should use my back. After some coaching, I was using muscles I never even knew existed, and I was huffing and puffing too. I could only do about 5 of these properly before I had to stop.

After a few other tiny workouts, I was exhausted. Now, hours later, I feel like I had a full workout. This is definitely going to be interesting.

2 comments:

Davidwhitewolf said...

Now I'm curious after trying this movement myself. What muscles of the back are you using?

Fletch said...

It's the muscles right in the middle of your back. Right between your lower shoulder blades. When doing this movement, if someone puts their fingers on your spine right in the middle, the muscles around the shoulder blades should pinch the fingers slightly. While doing the motion, your traps should not flex at all. Doing it incorrectly, using your traps, will cause your shoulder blades to stick out, away from your back.

It helps to have someone touching your traps and your back in that area so you can focus on pinching.