Thursday, October 05, 2006

Upgrade denial

I rather enjoy NOT upgrading. Part of it is recalcitrance at the idea of something new and therefore better being shoved down my throat. If I have a program, and it works, I'm done. New version "features" have to be pretty impressive for me to change something that works.

Unfortunately, this has left me to suffer some minor annoyances with software since the new version doesn't specifically fix the issue. Not a problem... Well, not too much of a problem... Ok, so my Firefox sucks.

I'm rather demanding of my computers; I leave windows open for days (sometimes weeks), have many of them refresh automatically, leave processes running in the background for months, fill all 7 of my desktops (and consider adding more) and frankly; expect it all to work. For the most part, everything works. My version of Firefox, however, crashes chronically. It could have something to do with the fact that I use it on sites specifically made for IE, or that I usually run it with over 50 tabs spread across different windows, spread across different desktops, but frankly; I expect it to work.

After weeks (months?) of putting up with finding my desktops devoid of Firefox windows indicating that it crashed sometime in the previous night, I finally became complacent with the issue. I loathed my Firefox, but I lived with it.

Recently I attempted to add some Firefox extensions only to be told that my version was out of date. "^&*@ I hate upgrading." So, I ran the upgrade, and fixed some issues with the extension compatibilities, and realized that this version (1.5.0 linux) of Firefox was quite a bit faster than my previous version (1.0.8 linux), and seemed to use less resources. A quick stress test was rather successful.

Time will tell if it will handle the beating I will no doubt deliver during day-to-day work, but I'm eager to find out.

I guess I should try not to ignore (seemingly) meaningless upgrades as much...

No comments: