Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Don't wander off...

Last Sunday at the mall, I was warned, "Don't wander off." (as I am apt to do) I was inspired and put a quick sketch into the small moleskine I keep in my back pocket. As we continued through the mall my mind stuck to the sketch, and I wound up making some additions, and notes to the quick sketch.

Later, when I got to my sketch book at home, I began drawing the scene, and wound up with proportions that required I sketch additions to another page... then another. After staring at my work for a bit, I retired to bed, and dreamt about my scene. The next morning, while thinking nothing of my sketch I picked up my sketch book, and pen, and wound up with another addition to the sketch. I need to get this out of my system.

The more I though about doing a full sketch, the more I saw it as less of a sketch, and more of a painting... This was a problem, because while I'm rather skilled at sketching in pen and pencil, the last time I actually applied color to something was probably in fifth grade summer school... It was a rose, it was water color, and it looked damn good. I know very little about color, and even less about controlling the medium. This was a problem, because this scene demanded color.

I know that in order for me to do the scene justice, I'll have to be skilled with color. I suppose it was only a matter of time before I was forced to dip my toe into paint, (not the recommended method) and I'm surprised at how skittish I am about the prospect.

I'm also a little bothered that I won't get to see the truly finish scene for some time. Oh well; such is art...

2 comments:

defiant_infidel said...

Wow, ET... Is it really possible to be an artist and NOT simultaneously liberal?? YOU are the experiment, Sir!

I am awed by anyone with drawing and/or painting skill. I can see the illustrations in my mind, but my hands can't reproduce with pencil or paint. So I relegate myself to ultra-amateur use of a camera and I do a little 3D metal skulpture on the side, too.

I am sure that the addition of paint to your drawing prowess is simply a matter of you doing it. Best wishes in your endeavor. Will you ever consider displaying your works for us to see here?

Fletch said...

Thanks for the vote of support DI, though I'd argue that anyone who would openly professes to be an ameture artist of any medium is more an artist at heart than anyone who could claim professional or popular status.

As to my work, I've only posted a few pieces of semi-serious sketches, the rest were simply for fun. I've thought about posting some of my more serious work, but could always argue that they were incomplete. Well, most artists would argue that all their work is incomplete. Perhaps I will rethink posting some of my sketches, though rest assured that "Don't Wander Off" Will find it's way to this odd little blog in various stages of completion (to keep me from wanting to wait until it's done).

As for the few sketches I posted, they can be found here-abouts: http://tinyurl.com/y36y7e

I instantly regret posting that.