Monday, October 09, 2006

Fourth gun purchase

I was still unsure about what to buy coming into the weekend. I hit the range Friday night, and wound up talking to a few other people. One told me that I should get the SP101, but was clearly biased for revolvers (which is fine). I went to bed that night decided on the SP101.

The next day I hit Turners on the way to Grant's for Guns to see if they had anything particularly interesting on sale. I checked out their snubbies, and a nice gentleman was kind enough to give me his input when I told him I was interested in revolvers. I eyed the numerous 1911s behind the glass, and departed for my objective.

I got to Grant's, and as I entered, I regarded the STOP sign with the same contempt I exhibit every time I walk by it on my way it. I don't much care for Grant's for a number of reasons, but the SP101 I had been eyeing was there; and only there. The next closest was Fowler's Gun Room, and they were near $100 more. They were busy, so I waited patiently, and eyed the SP101 and the Springfield GI in an effort to undermine my decisiveness. After a few minutes a clerk appeared and asked me the equivalent of "You buyin' anything?" I resisted the temptation to reply "Not anymore!" to one of the reasons I didn't enjoy coming to Grant's, and said, "Actually, I'm trying to decide between the SP101 and the GI 1911..." To which he replied... Oh, wait. He didn't reply. He walked to the far side of the counter and started reading a magazine. I shot a few daggers at the top of his head (the rest was buried in the magazine), and returned to my indecision.

A customer was talking to another clerk, and was interested in "Something that would scare someone away, but not hurt them too much." It was hard not to inject myself into his conversation, "Why don't you just buy a airsoft shotgun then!" (I would have been happy to sell mine to him!). I was a little annoyed that the clerk didn't make any recommendations or suggestions to keep this ignorant man from making a poor decision (or at least recommend that he buy a 12 gauge and load it with rock salt) (OUCH!). During their conversation the Handgun Safety Certificate came up, and I realize that I wouldn't be able to buy either gun without mine.

Then came the usual drive home to pick up my HSC, which came with the usual bout of second-guessing. Why do I always seem to do these things?

I'm not sure exactly how, but by the time I got home, I was decided on the 1911, and my annoyance at the clerk had worked itself into contemptuous indignation. I ruffled my feathers and puffed out my chest, and said to myself, "ANYWHERE but Grant's!"

I did some quick internet searches on the Springfield GI to solidify my new resolve (lest I re-resolve) (de-resolve?), and started looking for my HSC. (now where the hell did I leave that...?) After about thirty minutes I located my HSC, and headed to Turners to pay a little more ($40+) to avoid Grant's... I walked up to the case and found that the spot that the GI usually fills was notably bare. I inquired as to whether or not they had any in the warehouse, and they said that they do not, and don't know when they'll get more. Bugger.

I sat in my car for about 20 minutes calling different places for prices, finding them all at least $50 over Grant's. Sure that Grant's would take advantage of their lower price by adding to their fees, I called... They didn't. Double bugger.

So, finding my righteous indignation waning, I drove back to Grant's with the reluctant intention of buying the 1911. (though, admittedly, worried that seeing the SP101 might change my mind yet again)

I was relieved to find the clerk I dealt with earlier was not there. I approached the counter and caught myself eyeing the SP101; I quickly announced my intentions to buy the 1911 before I had a chance to change my mind. Whew. The new clerk gave me a look and asked incredulously, "Do you have an HSC?" To which I replied; "Of course." unwilling to let him ruin my experience. Man! I really don't like these guys. Though, as near as I can figure, my indignation was for sale for about $80 (after tax and DROS).

When the clerk asked me if I had a safe, I said that I didn't, but could provide a receipt for a lock purchased within the last 50 days; to which he replied, "I don't think it works that way." Funny, it's worked that way every time I've bought a gun in the past. "I'm fairly certain that there's no problem as long as I can furnish a receipt that proves that I've purchased a gun lock within the past 50 days." I argued, being forewarned on their policy regarding locks, and prepared to make a stand. He flustered for a bit, and just when I began to think I'd get my way, he said he'd have to talk to someone else and excused himself. (Well, he didn't excuse himself, but he did leave. Doesn't anyone believe in courtesy anymore?) He returned a short while later and said that if I wanted to buy a gun from them, I'd have to buy their lock. *ahem* Noting that his statement left question as to whether that was their interpretation of the law or if it was their (vexing) policy, I repeated to myself, "$80... $80..." and asked how much their lock was. "$15" He replied without looking up. I suddenly became acutely aware that my right eye was twitching. "$65... $65... That's nearly enough to pay more elsewhere simply on principal..." Were it not for a combination of the fact that he was handling (dangling)the pistol right in front of me, and the jealous looks I was getting from other customers (and clerks) I would not have been able to take a deep breath and sigh the reply; "Fine."

I'm always impressed with the nonsense one must go through to exercise their constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

"Have you ever been declared by any court to be a danger to yourself or others?"
"No."
"Are you a felon?"
"No."
"Are you buying this gun for someone else?"
"No."
"Are you buying this gun for a felon?"
"No."
"Are you telling the truth?"
"No-- I mean, yes!"
"Really?"
... Yes?
"Nuh-uh!"
"Yuh-huh!"
"Aren't you not telling the truth about not lying?"
I-- GAK!-- HERK! *aneurysm*
"Have you ever eaten the lemon out of a section of a lemon merengue pie and left the merengue on top?"
*drooooool*


After answering all those idiotic, unconstitutional questions I was glad there was a "cooling down" period!

I paid the whole price at the register (they don't allow you to pay part now, and part later) (strike seven... teen.), and realized that the pickup date was 11 days from that day instead of the state-mandated 10. Apparently they avoid all that "On this date, after this time of purchase" convenience by simply adding a day. Man, if I wasn't buying a sweet gun for a good price I'd be SO out of here. Not that I just HAVE to have my gun on the 17th and can't wait until the 18th, but I was in no mood to deal with any more of their "policies."

So, with that unpleasantness behind me, I can look forward to the 17th 18th, and start reading up on all this 1911 business...

Well, that was long winded. I hope you all enjoyed it... ??? Hello? Guys?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap Kalifornia sucks! From what I understand, I own to many guns for them to even le me enter the state. On the other hand, I don't own enough to get into Montana, yet.

Congrats on the new 1911. Here is a site I just recently ran across, they've got some good prices, wish I could have gotten it to you earlier after hearing about Grant's.

Brass