Tuesday, December 28, 2004

"Paintball update" or "It hurts to move"

ow. Soreness... ow...

I was out paintballing yesterday. I love paintballing... I have the scars to prove it! ^_^;; I haven't been able to go out for about two months (Ok, you know when you spell something, and the word looks wrong, but you know it's right? That's how I'm feeling about the word "months" right now. It's reminding me too much of the word "moths". I seem to think it needs a "u". "Mounthes"? I threw the "e" in there for good measure... back to the story!) Money's been tight since the move, and I haven't been able to convince myself to spend $50 on a box of paint, and $15 on admission, $12 for air fills, $5 for food, and $2.75(?) for gas for about 30 miles round trip. Oh my goodness... I'd never written it all down like that, it will require all my concentration NOT to total all that...

Recently I'd been longing for my beloved paintball in the usual depressing manner...
Thinking about paintball...
Looking at my paintball gear...
Dusting my paintball pictures...
And generally doing my best to annoy myself with the fact that I hadn't been paintballing in a long time.

I went to a movie last Saturday (Christmas) with my girlfriend and her borther from the Navy (down for christmas). We saw A Series Of Unfortunate Events. It was kind of Tim Burton-y and odd in a good way. Got in for free, so I bear the movie no ill-will. Anyways, before the movie started I saw a friend of mine walk in. A friend of mine from paintball. He came up and we exchanged the usual pleasantries, and he said I should come by the shop, because he got a ton of new merchandise. I told him I'd go sunday, and I did. I spent about 3 hours there (you pretty much just hang out at a paintball shop), went for coffee with my friend made up my mind that I'd go paintballing monday, bought some paint ($38), and a free air fill ($0 ^_^).

That night I was cleaning my gear only to discover that I had no pants. Quite a suprising discovery indeed.

My JT Paintball pants retail for $85 (worth it), but I buy them at Sport Chalet on clearance for $53 (Sweet!) Spending over $50 on pants was my first big paintball expence (after my initial purchase and decision to pursue the sport). At first I was unsure how pants could cost over $50 dollars. Once at the field the guy at the shop (there's a canopy-style shop set up on location) pointed to my pants and said to another player, "when I was at the tourney in florida, I could get those pants for $47, come back, and sell them for $87!" I replied, "then I don't feel so bad about paying $53 for them." He then answered with confusion, disbelief, and a question of where I got them. I said Sport Chalet. to which he replied (and I quote), "Fucking sport chalet, they don't give a shit if they lose money or not, it's all just inventory, inventory, inventory..."
Since then, Sport Chalet is my first stop for any form of lesser paintball gear... :)


Well, that was quite a digression. Anyways...

The pants had built in knee pads (a big plus), breathed well, protected from the elements (namely the elements PAINT & MUD!), and had a soft inlay (pants inside the pants) for great comfort...

ENOUGH ABOUT THE FRIGGIN PANTS!



Dude, where the fuck was I? Oh yeah, so, I'd just discovered I had no pants... Which put a damper on tomorrows activities... No pants = No paintballing. I know you can wear normal pants, but only if you want them to get torn to shit (if you're playing right! ;). Plus I didn't have any jeans to waste (or any jeans for that matter) My paintballing future was looking bleak... Hope was fading, I was getting light headed, and then... suddenly... My girlfriend said, "well I guess you'll just have to go to Sport Chalet tomorrow morning".

It was as if the heavens parted and down rode my girlfriend atop a golden chariot bearing my JT Tournament Paintball Pants unto me!
An angelic choir began singing sweet verse!
Dew shimmered as it clung to a bending blade of grass!
Touchstone pictures made a good Batman movie!

Ok, so some of those things didn't happen. Or maybe all of them; it's unimportant. What WAS important was that I... WAS... GOING... PAINTBALLING!
[angelic choir]
................that's enough.
[/angelic choir]
I was pretty excited...
So the next morning, I got the pants, loaded my pods, and went to Tombstone Paintball at the Serfas/Auto Center Drive exit off the 91 in Carona. It's more of a family field, you'll find about 20% advanced, 30% intermediate, 50% beginner. Good for some wholesome fun shooting you fellow man with balls of paint at 280 feet per second. This is compaired to the ultra-competative atmosphere at SC Village, known for their 20 vs 20 free-for-alls where survival is 20% luck... and 80% luck... :) Players who frequent there are widely known for being more aggressive, and... volitile... (gotta chose my words carefully, some SC patrons may be reading!) But, SC has definately got better fields (hands down) So if you can go with a private group, go SC, if just a walk-on for fun, go Tombstone...
Jesus Christ, are we ever going to get to the end of this fucking story?!

I got out twice, once was we lost 3-4 guys off the break that... was bad. and the other I got a little cocky and stayed out for too long, I got it in the left hand. But I got 15 kills that I can be sure of, and specially assisted (provided supression/deversion fire) in 3 kills). It was a pretty good day. Last time I went out I got wailed on, I had like 3 confirmed kills... Bad day. Still fun though. Just not as fun... :] By the end of the day, I knew I was getting better.

Got some In'n'Out (THE BEST burgers in the history of burgerkind) went home, took a shower, and went to the movies with my girl. What a fucking day. Kick ass.

Today... I'm so sore... Kick ass... It'll hurt, but kick it anyways...

GAH! DAMNIT! That didn't even haev a point!!!!111ONE *explosion*

No comments: