Monday, March 02, 2009

Buckmark practice, and Ambidextrousness

Before hitting the range for some inexpensive, and usually educational Buckmark practice, I stopped by turners to check out the ammo and gun situation...


But the cupboard was bare!

Turners is also so low on auto pistols that two of their pistol display cases have been repurposed. Their long gun rack is simply devoid of anything semi-auto, save a few .22s, and some fancy duck guns. Somehow the overpriced Garand, overpriced Enfield no.4 mk2, and overpriced shotgun remain on the consignment shelf. Surely there must be some unknown property they all share that makes them immune to this purchasing rush...

The range trip was somewhat eventful; I broke my previous 'Buckmark offhand 10 shots at 50 feet' record by a little over half an inch. (1.82" now) The practice is definitely paying off. Only a few trips ago I was experimenting with grip, and found one that shrunk my groups noticeably. The grip was uncomfortable and awkward at first, but this last trip I caught myself doing it without thinking.
Experiment, identify a better method, practice, implement, improve!

I'm a bit ambidextrous. I can only write with my right hand, but there are many other things that I can do just as well, or better with my left hand. One event that sticks out in my mind was when I was playing basket ball, and decided to try lefty, and improved. Or when we were crowded at a table at a sushi place, and I picked up the chopsticks with my left hand and started eating without realizing I'd never used chopsticks left handed before. Anyways, that was my long-winded explanation for why I found out that I shoot better one handed with my left hand than with my right. Being cross-dominant confuses things even further. Rapid fire with my 10/22 is better right handed, slow fire is better left; two handed buckmark shooting is better right handed, single handed is better left. I just realized; I need to try my AR rapid fire right handed to see if I get better groups! Always fun to find out new things about yourself. Even if they're sometimes confusing things.

No comments: