Friday, March 20, 2009

Barking in the dark.

You still call me every now and then. Whenever my phone lit up, I was excited to know who was calling me. (people calling me being such an infrequent thing :]) But seeing your number appear would take all the excitement and turn it sour and dry. I feel a little victory each time I see your number, and ignore the call. I know how to deal with it now. You always leave a voicemail, and despite what you probably think, I listen to them before deleting. Well... A little. I listen to the first few words before immediately deleting. I'm listening for the voice mail that begins with the words "I'm sorry". I'm not even sure if I ever want to hear it.

The voice mails are long. I can tell when the ringing stops, and it takes a long time for the voicemail notification to come up. I was struck by the idea that all those words, and all that emotion, stored in the ones and zeros of Sprint's voicemail service all just disappear into nothingness when I hit "7" mere seconds into the message. All that effort expended, the yelling, the cursing, and blaming, all vanishes into nothing with the press of a button.

It almost seems like a waste.

Almost.

I was thinking about it, and realized that you probably know that I delete the messages. On some level, you probably understand that you're only talking to yourself. Talking to yourself helps. I do it often, and find it to be very therapeutic. So if you need keep calling, and talking to yourself, I'll refrain from blocking your number.

With kind regards,
Your Former Son

No comments: