Tuesday, August 11, 2009

California gets their shit together on traffic school

Good for them.

I bit ago, I got a speeding ticket (second one ever, first was 8 years ago). I took the option of taking traffic school, and was instructed to call the judicial center within 10 days.

I fail.

I called 15 days later, and they assured me they were entirely booked up! But then, they were apparently booked up 5 days ago too. The woman informed me that they were severely booked up, and had to outsource to a private company, and that I could call them.

Cool!

I call the private company, and they assured me they were entirely booked up! But then, they were apparently booked up 5 days ago too.

Well shit.

The guy assured me that in 90 days, the state legislature would approve a bill that would allow them to begin offering online courses, and I could sign up then, and take care of my traffic school at my leisure.

Sweet!

I wait the 90 days, a little uneasily, since my completion date drew 90 days closer as well, and called on the first day when they opened.

The guy told me they didn't get the contract, and that I should call the county court office again. *minor freak-out* "But they were booked up past my completion date 90 days ago!" "...I don't know what to tell you."

I called the court office, and they told me not to worry because a different company got the contract, and they were offering online traffic school right now. Whew. The traffic school costs between $13 and $45.

I was honestly afraid that California would allow me to pay for traffic school, then not give me the means to attend it prior to my completion date. Good for them.

But wait! A bit ago, I got a letter from the court, saying that they will refund me my traffic school fee, and extend my completion date by four months! Well done!

Good job, Orange County courts. Thanks for realizing what a spot you were putting us in.


But I still think it's a dick move to charge me "court fees" that exceed the cost of the ticket. $400 for a basic "exceeding 65" speeding ticket is too fucking much.

4 comments:

Ry Jones said...

get a ticket in Oregon and you'll wish it was only $400. Seriously.

JP said...

just south of Jackson Mississippi I got tagged going to Memphis. 71 in a 65.
Going back to N.O a week later, I got hit by the same cop, within a mile of the first, 70 in a 65.
Two tickets for chicken shit violations (The second I was stuck behind a UHaul, and I doubt I was going that fast. But I payed them off. $124 dollars for the two tickets. The extra 1 mph was $10.
That was the total bill.
11 over in St Charles Parish in Louisiana was $165, and the same in Ascension(or was it Assumption? I forget which) was $170.

JP said...

Oh, and I've so far not gotten one here in Texas (and hope to never get one for that matter), but I did get a Warning for 44 in a 30 a few weeks back.

NotClauswitz said...

It's one thing I've noticed lately, a lot of cops - more cops and CHP patrolling than on a weekend of Labor Days and Thanksgiving rolled together. It's like they're doing a major job of revenue collecting, ya think? Mine "contribution" was $251.