Sunday, February 01, 2009

Benchmade Fixed Griptilian Sheath Mod

The Benchmade Fixed Griptilian is a fine knife that comes with a fine sheath.

However, I took issue with the placement of the snap strap. It's high enough that the shape of the handle allows the knife to slide upward until the heel of the knife is against the snap catch, exposing the blade.

I decided to relocate the snap strap so it would be more accessible, and hold the knife more securely.

I removed the strap from the top of the sheath, and cut off the end of the strap with the bottom snap on it. I cleaned up the edges of nylon with a lighter, and epoxied the bottom snap square to the outside of the sheath, under one of the straps. (this took a bit of fitting) I also cut a small relief in the horizontal strap so the bottom of the snap was not covered. (right above the "M" on the benchmade logo)


I then epoxied the rest of the strap to the plastic back behind the end of the grip. This takes a bit of fitting, so make sure you get it right by testing it before the epoxy dries!

Note the angle, and the small relief cut in the strap for where it wraps around the grip.

Done! Nice and smooth, exposed handle, secure lock-up, and convenient to unsnap and draw.


The only point of caution is sheathing the blade, because the strap likes to fold over the opening right where the knife passes. Be sure you draw the strap back before inserting the blade.

3 comments:

Fascion said...

Excellent mod. I much prefer that diagonal strap when it is offered. Horizontal straps always seem a bit harder to operate for me.

Speaking of diagonal straps, my two Bucks (Alpha Dorado and Mini Alpha Hunter) have been seeing a lot of use since my last comment on your "Choosing an EDC - More Thoughts" post. These are the first two knives I have taken up in 154CM and I have been very impressed with their performance.

Back on subject of the fixed Griptilian. Care to share your impressions on the knife itself?
I am in the market for a new fixed blade (something a bit longer than the mini alpha hunter) and this is one I am very much considering.

Entertaining as always, thanks.

Fletch said...

Good to know I'm changing some minds!

The fixed griptilian seems to be a perfect fit for my hand, and a great choice for a fixed blade. I'll be doing a more detailed review of it later. I have an uber-knife post brewing.

Thanks for reading!

Spring Assisted Knives said...

Awesome Modification. hand is right there to grip the knife right after you unsnap it. very good idea