Thursday, November 20, 2008

The SKS slimline clip carrier

After purchasing my new sewing machine Fully-Automatic Tactical Thread Delivery Device, I wasted no time assembling something I'd been thinking about for a while.

A few hours later, I had a prototype.

I keep my SKS ready as a trunk gun, and had difficulty thinking of a way to keep some stripper clips easily available for carry should I ever to grab it. Kind of a grab and go clip carrier.







I'm thinking about adding something like a belt clip. The tight fit is alright for holding the stripper clips in place with light jostling, but anything more and the clips fly free. I'm trying to think of a simple retention device for them that doesn't get in the way or add too much bulk.

Next project is the three level messenger bag. A messenger bag designed for carrying a pistol at three different levels of concealment/readiness. At high readiness, the pistol would be exposed and ready for draw, and an outer pocket would expand into rifle mag pockets and a dump pouch. Also, it would clean your room and walk your dog. I will entertain suggestions on this project.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take two, please.

As for retention, you could do a couple of things. A simple strap + button snap would accomplish retention easily. You could also sew some elastic into the insides of the pockets.

More complicated but more effective would be to mold some thin wall kydex as liners for the pouches. Slip some spent casings into a clip and use that as a form. Bake at 325 for twenty minutes and you have delicious cake. Wait. You have retention.

A couple of these with velcro backing would work very well inside your messenger bag prototype.

theirritablearchitect said...

Looks excellent, sir.

The Armed Canadian said...

Count me in for a few. I'd add a flap to snap/velco over top to protect the clips from weather but that's about it.

Give it to me with MOLLE straps and my choice of camo (MultiCam, ACU, CADPAT, etc) and I'll happily purchase several sets.

Very nifty!

Unknown said...

Thats a great idea. I love stuff like this.

Fletch said...

Thanks Gunsaddles, it's always nice toOH MY GOD LOOK AT MY HAIR!

Anonymous said...

A rubber band that runs vertically around the whole unit. Simple, replaceable and quickly removed.

Fletch said...

Good idea, Anon! Simple and cheap, just the way I liOH MY GOD LOOK AT MY HAIR!