Friday, February 15, 2008

Another Gun Free Zone Shooting. Would you disarm?

POSIT:
You are a trained gun owner who carries a concealed firearm infrequently. You have a great holster, and a sub-compact firearm that makes concealment easy, and almost 100%. You have ZERO fear of being "outed." You got the permit just in case, but you really only carry it when you go into "bad" areas. You have a spouse, and 1.5 kids, live in an average house in a good neighborhood, etc, etc, etc. You get a job, accept a responsibility, or take a class that will require you to be on the grounds of the local University for 5 hours three days a week. You just hear about the 5th recent school shooting, and are understandably startled.

Do you carry your concealed weapon, on campus, in knowing violation of the "no guns" policy?

What if you were a full time student with a spouse and no kids? Would you risk expulsion and a possible local university black-ball?

I'm not talking about going Rambo on a shooter if one starts shooting a few buildings down from you, I'm just talking about you, looking out for you.

What if you were a teacher with one of your kids in your class?

What if the school was evacuated with no incident when someone called in a threat against the school three days ago?

This line of questioning is meant to help you discover your breaking point. At what point do you disregard the punishments of being caught, and break the rules imposed by the owners of the property you must tread upon?

2 comments:

blogagog said...

I don't think it's right to call your mentally challenged kid .5 of a child :(.

Anonymous said...

Seeing as how I'm in this boat...

It is up to the individual to evaluate the risk v. reward, but in my particular case I have determined that 1)I'm at risk and 2)That's enough intel.

Taking the proper steps to mitigate risk factors aren't really an option, so improper steps are often called upon. Whether this includes carrying, I won't say, but I will say that I feel completely safe in my office and it has nothing to do with my friends in the police department.

Let's hope the day never comes when I have to find out how good their active shooter training is, nor how well prepared I've made myself.