Monday, May 14, 2007

Why even ask my opinion?

Boss: Hey, the new customer wants to know if we can do this.
Me: Well... I guess. It's possible, but you should warn them that we've never done it like that before, and while I know of no reason why it wouldn't work, I can imagine that once we actually start doing it we might find problems. Make sure they understand that they might not get 100% compliance the first time.
Boss: yeahyeahoknoproblemdontworryokbye

Two weeks later

Boss: Yeah... What's up with that thing? Why isn't it done yet?
Me: I dunno, there's something weird with the software. The vendor is looking at it right now. Good thing we didn't promise them what we couldn't deliver!
Boss: Yeah... We need to deliver that promise in any way possible.
Me: Ok, I'll ignore the fact that I said you shouldn't promise anything, we can do it manually but it will be a hassle and time consuming. It's not a scalable solution so we can't just do that every time. We don't even know if the vendor will be able to deliver what they need.
Boss: Yeah... Can you get on that?
Me: ...
Boss: Yeah...
Me: ...
Boss: ...
Me: ...
Boss: Yeah...
Me: *sigh* Okay... But I promise nothing.
Boss: Yeah...

No comments: