Thursday, May 31, 2007

Photo of the kids


click for larger size

My G22 is purely a fun gun. Every few mags it gets a failure to feed or a failure to eject, but I've been using the cheapest ammo I could buy for it so I can't really blame the rifle just yet. With the scope on it, it's fun to pop off to the indoor range a few miles from my place and spend an hour (or two) drawing dots all over one paper target and trying to get my groups as small as possible. The trigger is still bad, but I've learned tricks to shooting it well, plus it gives me plenty of practice on my trigger pull. I've seriously considered selling it and picking up a CZ 542 many times, but I feel more compelled to learn to love the gun I already have. It feeds shorts (one in a mag at a time) and the 20" barrel keeps the report to nearly nil on CCI CBs, so I'm happy for now. It does turn a lot of heads, especially at a pistol range.

My AR type is a Stag lower with a Stag 2HL (lefty) upper on it. The mag is pinned, and requires a tool to remove (thank you California), but beggars can't be choosers. (I'm just happy to be able to own one in Ca! Take that Diane Frankenstein) Top loading it is not too hard, but keeps me from any sustained shooting (which I don't really do anyways), stripper clips would speed things up, but I really don't care. It was a bit of journey learning to shoot the AR. Looking up info on how to feed, bathe, and oil was just as important as finding out the proper way to shoot an AR. Shooting it at 3 liter bottles of soda from the 99 cent store is awesome. I less than three my AR.

My Nova tactical is an odd design. The receiver and stock are polymer and are reinforced in areas by metal, giving it a one-piece, sleek design. I think it's sexy, but I also think it's kind of weird for some reason. It has ghost ring sights for firing slugs, and has a button to keep from from feeding from the magazine on the pump in case you want to load a different shot through the ejection port. Holds 7+1 and field strips without tools. My go-to gun for home defense, loaded with 8 shells of 00 buck, cocked and locked. I got a great deal on it used from a semi-local shop, couldn't find a lick of wear on it, and it came with the mag extension (which Benelli apparently stopped shipping to the US for some reason). The polymer receiver and stock throw the balance off, making it a bit front heavy, but I prefer the light weight it give the gun. Barrel swaps out without tools. According to Josh, it cycles faster than other shotguns, but this is the only shotgun I've owned. (but he knows his poop so you can probably take his word on it. :) )

My bunny rabbit, Ava is probably around 3 years old, and was rescued from the Irvine animal shelter. From the day we brought her home and she immediately left her care to smell us, and wander around, we knew she was different. I did a lot of research on what to expect from a house rabbit, and Ava didn't much care for those expectations. She's extremely comfortable around people, doesn't seem to mind the furniture being moved around, and is more interested in getting into trouble when we're around than when we're away. Since we got her, she's gone from bunny to rabbit, and is bigger than most cats. She's more skittish about odd sounds and will grunt and thump to "warn" us that there's something odd nearby. It took her some time to get used to sneezing and people walking by outside our apartment, but once she got used to most of the sounds she doesn't even flinch. When we moved, I was afraid she'd be scared of the new place with new smells, sounds, and layout, but she acts as though nothing happened. She's rather independent, and will rarely approach us for more than a few seconds, but is more likely to find a place near us and lay down. She's always up to inspect things new to her area and is not shy about biting, licking, or pushing them over (or carrying them away, if they're small enough), so she's checking out the nova.

2 comments:

John R said...

Can you feed the pinned mag with standard AR stripper clips?

Fletch said...

Never tried it, but if you can get the stripper clip adapter (saw it in a video) onto the magazine when it's in the well, then I don't see why not.

Hmmm... I've got to get an adapter and rework it if it doesn't work...