Friday, April 06, 2007

Religion and God

I posted this to a board a while ago, and I was reminded of it so I dug it up. I think it's worth sharing...

I don't believe in jesus or any of the other superheros that you read about in books, but I can appreciate why others would. I admit that I hold certain religious beliefs that I can logically explain no more than any preacher of any other religion. It really just comes down to the fact that in my gut (for lack of a better word), my particular beliefs make sense to me, and other beliefs don't. People should be allowed to follow their gut, but shouldn't be forced to believe anything. However it's the responsibility of the people to seriously question their faith until they are truly (and I do mean truly) satisfied that their faith makes sense to them.

I'm agnostic because there's no major religion that believes exactly what I do. I believe in fate, and that we walk a path. I believe that we make decisions along that path that affect the way we live certain parts of our path; but that our overall destination and greater paths cannot be changed. Most of my beliefs come from parts of eastern philosophies (which is oh-so trendy in california, unfortunately). I DO believe that something or someone is out there, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that he or she would love you unconditionally one minute and then banish you to eternal damnation the next. Frankly, I think the creator of the universe would have something better to do.

I don't believe in the religious stick or carrot. You shouldn't dedicate your life to something because you want or don't want.

Oh yeah, I'm 22.
(and don't give me any "you'll change when you get older you young wippersnapper!" BS, because that's just admitting that you could change your own beliefs when you get even older. It doesn't make sense, and beliefs rarely change when you actually think them through the first time.)


Someone commented;

Well wasn't god created in the image of man? or vice a versa or something like that and what is to stop god from having mortal traits

If man can love you one minute and hate you the next what is so unbelievable about god being able to think that way as well ?

Just like a father that gets pissed off as what his kid does. Isn't he the heavenly father ? and are not we his children? do you see my point?


To which I replied...

A father might get mad at his kid for spilling paint in the garage, but he doesn't cast him into a firey pit to be tortured for all eternity. I think you're confusing anger with wrathfulness. And if you're not, and god would banish you forever for spilling paint in the garage, I certainly wouldn't want to believe in a god who was such a dick.

er... frankly... :)

1 comment:

defiant_infidel said...

Hi ET... my apologies for not stopping by more frequently. I really enjoy your views and wisdom. I find you to be unusually deep thinking given your age... you young whippersnapper, you! HA!

I do believe in God but I am surely a poor example of my Episcopalian faith and I stray a lot in my following. I have zero problem with you being agnostic, or anyone else for that matter. I very much appreciate your tolerance (without condescention, very notably) of those of us who do believe. I will also state that I think no one truly knows, thus the reason for faith. I also see much sense in your "superior being" theory. There is too much to this world, its' inter-relationships are too complex and there is so much unknown for me to think that there is not a Creator. "Intentional design" seems much more believable than "accident". But I will cede that the details of the whole ball of wax are subject to much speculation.

I think I would deduce from your musings that you also see distinctly "good" and "pure evil". I would enjoy this as a conversation upon the very pleasant occasion to meet you sometime.

"Keep the faith", my friend...

:-)