Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Book Readery

I'm working my way through one of the required classics I've somehow missed. Currently I'm enjoying Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I've marked some quotes of interest so I figured I'd share them.

"I don't know. That's what we ought to find out. Not just what you said. Not just business and earning a living. Things like winning battles, or saving people out of fires, or climbing mountains."


Of what importance is an individual in the titanic collective achievements of our industrial age?


He seemed unusually skillful at obtaining favors from the Legislature.

Dagny knew nothing about the field of "Washington ability" or what such an ability implied. But it seemed to be necessary, so she dismissed it with the thought that there were many kinds of work which were offensive, yet necessary, such as cleaning sewers; somebody had to do it, and Jim seemed to like it.


It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. you should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener.

No comments: