Friday, October 01, 2004

Take Back the Internet

What kind of question is that? the internet is already free (if you want some free ISP and toolbar banner ads).
No, I'm not talking about paying for access, I'm talking about just surfing the web!

You may think that surfing your favorite web site is free, but it's not.

If you must endure ads, banners, pop-ups, redirects, etc. to see your fave site, it is not free.

let me repeat that.

IT IS NOT FREE.

We are all bombarded by ads during our lives, buy this, buy that, we've been turned into demographics by huge corperations who gather our data and sell it to the highest bidder!

Unfortunately the internet is ripe with this kind of spying. Which is why these programs were called spyware... they report your surfing habits to internet companies who sell you as a percentage on a pie chart.

There is one near perfect way to begin affecting a change:
Use the Mozilla web browser instead of Internet Explorer

With all the latest security threats and weaknesses found in Internet Explorer it's no wonder the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) advised that one of the best ways to keep your computer safe and secure is to stop using internet explorer. Read for yourself (strangely enough, the final solution listed on the page under "solutions" is this suggestion)

But I digress.

Since I've switched browser to Mozilla Firefox and installed the AdBlock Extension, I have not seen an ad (banner, popup, flash, or redirect) for about 8 weeks. Whenever I see one I just tighten the adblock by adding the new ad to the block list. Additionally, I haven't encountered any popups since I made the switch.

Imagine, all those little annoyances that we've all just ignorantly accepted... GONE

"Ads, banners, pop-ups. Oh well. I guess that's just how the internet is and always will be..."

Not any more.

Empower yourself. Don't be their unwitting pawn.

Take back the internet.

No comments: