Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I called 911 and all I got was this lousy garbage can

Cueball posted a link in the IRC channel to this story. Toledo police lay-offs are causing more private citizens to get firearms and firearm training.

Money quote:
"People are panicking, they're figuring the only way they can protect themselves is for them to protect themselves," says Urbanski. "So yeah, my business is booming."

This in itself is not really something I find postworty, only because you can't swing an reality-challenged politician without hitting a county making cuts to essential services in favor of non-essential services. (The trick is to threaten the safety of the people just enough to get them to pay more taxes!)

What I did find interesting was the t-shirt one of the people in the video was wearing. It captures the above paragraph much better than any of my inexpert snark.

The t-shirt read;
I called 911 and all I got was this lousy garbage can

After a bit of searching, I seem to have found the story behind the shirt;
The city just finshed spending a bunch of money on a new garbage collection system. To ensure compatability with the trucks, residents are issued a garbage can.

Meanwhile, they're cutting police due to budget constraints.

There you have it folks.

I called 911 and all I got was this lousy garbage can

We could make one for California, but it would probably run out of space before it listed all the non-essential services that got money while firefighters, police, and emergency services were cut.

Maybe you could do it on a multiple shirts.

(list continued on shirt 2/3)

No comments: