Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Shooting by the numbers

I pulled out the M4gery and the m39 last night and set up my simulated-distance target across the room to do some dry fire. However, this time, I was going to do it by the numbers.

Since I became enlightened to the challenge of accurate shooting, the title of Rifleman has pushed me improve my riflecraft. I'm constantly on the look out for what shooters are capable of without a scope, so I can know what I should be capable of with an MOA rifle, and open sights. I'm late to the game, but that has only driven me to try harder to catch up.

I aspire to outshoot my rifle.

I don't know if I'll ever get to do it, but I know that I'll try to get as close as possible.

Simply by following the numbered guidelines to accurate shooting, was able to feel the difference in my dry firing. I suppose I looked a bit silly doing what appeared to be the exact same thing over and over, and expressing either displeasure, contentment, or excitement at what appeared to be the exact same result. The difference was subtle, but it was there. It was in the front sight, and my increased ability to call my imaginary shots good or bad.

I'm getting better.

I look forward to practice tonight.

No comments: