Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Weapon Maintenance

I've was neglecting my workout toward the end of last year, and realized I wasn't developing the lung capacity I should have, so I decided to bite the bullet and do something I've been neglecting. Run.

Of course, running is the most utilitarian skill of survival. Why go straight to survival? Why not just run for fitness? Well, because if I think everything is going to be rainbows and sunshine until the day I die, I don't really care if I'm fat and happy. But, as with so many other things in my life, I'd rather have the ability to run and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Ok, so I want to be able to run. Second problem; the only cardio I did while I was working out properly was stationary bike, and stationary bike exercise does not translate to running exercise. Aside from that exercise, I've been sitting in front of a computer for 6 years, during which time, I developed asthma as a result of a respiratory infection. (I got better :) I pretty much had the lung capacity of a smoker. So I'd have to take it slow. Real slow.

I found this Couch to 5K Running Plan somewhere on the blogosphere, (if you're the gunblogger that posted it, lemme know, and I'll attribute it) and I bookmarked it because it included the word "couch," and actually seemed possible for someone as out of running shape as me.

So all that was left was getting vertical in the morning, strappin' shoes to my feet, and going outside.

I started Monday with what I called my run-jog-walk-wheeze, and got a no-nonsense view of how incapable I really was. It would be good drive to get out of bed next time.

Since I was getting up early, instead of dragging myself out of bed, into the shower, and to work, I had time to fix a proper breakfast. So I've been eating three egg whites with one full egg scrambled with a cut up polish sausage and two pieces of toast. The combination of the 20 minutes of activity and the hearty breakfast has made my days a lot easier to get through. More energy, more positive attitude, sleeping better, just good all around. I'm seriously thinking the human body was meant to run with at least 20 minutes of cardio a day.

The first day was bad. Legs got tight and sore on my shins quickly, and I couldn't keep pace with the 60/90 timing. My lungs weren't keeping up with my legs. I couldn't get oxygen into my system fast enough.

Second day I didn't feel very sore, so instead of skipping the day as in the schedule, I did the second workout. I could tell my lungs were catching up with my legs, and held the 60/90 timing pretty well. I had extra time after I finished breakfast, and instead of just watching the news (if I could find it), I started playing with the violin until it was time to get ready for work. More energy, more activity.

Third day (today) I didn't feel sore again, so I went for it. It had rained, and it the air was cool. I could beat the 60/90 timing by a bit, and my lungs had caught up with my legs, which doesn't say much, but it was definitely an improvement.

I think I'm going to continue not skipping a day between workouts.

I intend on posting my progress to hold myself accountable to teh intarwebz. Who knows? Maybe I'll get back to running as fast as I did in high school track.



This is still funny though.

No comments: