Monday, January 29, 2007

Range Report; one-handed, weak handed, and jam testing.

Hit the range this weekend. I hadn't gone in quite a while (just haven't felt the drive for some reason), so I was a little worried that my 1911 groups would be teh sukk.

Managed to get my best grouping ever. 1" group of 6 shots, one flyer put the group at 2".

Not bad for me...

I also got to try my hand at some one-handed and weak hand shooting, and found I was... within tolerances... with my XD-9, but my shots with the 1911 were quite accurate.

I've been keeping my 1911 from being my go-to pistol because I'd had some jams with it. As with most 1911 jams, these probably can be attributed to the mag (cheapie springfield mag). The jams were kind of specific, so I started trying to get it to jam so I could find out what the situation was that was causing it. Turns out that if I have one in the pipe and one in the mag, and fire, 1/3 times it will jam feeding. It's less likely to do this if I fire off from a full mag (if that makes sense), but when loaded with just those two shots, it will jam very often. A rap on the back of the slide will bring it home, and to a full firing position. I've been keeping my eyes out for a good deal on some Wilson Combat mags, but I think I'll just have to bite the... bullet... (Sorry.) I'll be on the look out for them at the gun show next weekend.

I was also reminded of just how much I love how the 1911 feels and shoots.

3 comments:

John R said...

You might want to give the folks at Tripp Research a try. They make the hands down best mags there are.

You can get an upgrade kit for your mag for $9.00.

http://www.trippresearch.com/

Fletch said...

Ooooo... Thanks for the link JR!

Anonymous said...

That's funny. As I was reading the post, I was thinking - "He should get some Tripp mags..."

If you do buy the Wilson's, get the #47's, not the 47D's. Yeah, you lose a round of capacity, but the reliability and function are a bit better.