Monday, October 30, 2006

You like my costume? What costume?

I'm growing my hair long and am a bit lazy about taking care of it. I usually have my hair buzzed very short, and enjoyed not thinking very much of my hair. Now that it's long, I've found myself wearing my hat more often than I usually do.

My hat is a short-brimmed, tan/green non-adjustable cap with a crest-style bird silhouette on the front. When I wear it; I regularly get accused of looking like Fidel Castro. The fact that I haven't been managing my facial hair has left me with a beard that hasn't helped me avoid the comparison. In fact, it has done just the opposite.

The Saturday after attending a Halloween party costume-less the cable guy mentioned that I looked like Castro. This prompted the usual polite laugh, and me dropping the subject. While my girlfriend was at work that day, she realized that I should be Castro for my costume. Brilliant. Why the hell didn't I think of that? Every one else thinks I look like him, I might as well grab a cigar and just get it over with!

So I brought my hat and cigar to the party on Saturday, and whenever anyone asked who I was or where my costume was, I'd take the cigar out of its tube, and bring it to my mouth. By the time it was half way to my mouth, everyone would yell "Castro!" and I'd smile, and suck on the cigar for a bit. This happened so consistently that I was really surprised at how many people got the reference so quickly.

Do I really look that much like Castro???

No comments: