Tuesday, October 31, 2006

More channels = More happiness

Well, we've got cable now. This is the second time I've had cable, the last time the house with the room I rented had cable. I don't much care for teevee for a number of reasons, though I do watch movies TV shows on DVD. I guess I just don't care for the medium, even though I sometimes enjoy the content. Commercials, obvious plots, formulaic shows, or anything else that insults my intelligence (IE: most of what's on TV) draws a short fuse from me. Aside from those things, I don't like sitting down, and getting up an hour later, and having nothing to show for that hour. If I was well entertained (which is usually a long shot), more informed, challenged, moved, or even a bit nostalgic, I don't mind as much. If I've managed to keep from thinking, and have spent an hour of my life that I'll never get back in front of a flickering box I feel unproductive. Hmmm, "unproductive"... now you're probably picturing me as one of those people who sits in front of the tv with stacks of things around them to do and busy themselves with. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I believe that some shows are worth watching, and that if it's worth watching, it's worth your undivided attention. If you're dividing your attention, what you're watching clearly isn't worth your time.

Don't get me wrong; being able to shut off your brain and be entertained for an hour or two is great, but there are really better ways to unwind.

I watch TV, but try to avoid it if possible, (it's not possible when House, 24, or Lost is on) which is why I don't think cable is really worth having.

More channels simply means more opportunities to waste time. Sure, more channels means a better chance of finding something worth your time; but this is still just entertainment we're talking about. I could probably find enough quality shows to keep be occupied for days, but would I? Would you?

I've thought more about this since deciding to post on it, and speculated that perhaps I was approaching this incorrectly. Maybe cable is more than a purveyor of simple amusement, maybe cable has a fuller offering. I can listen to music, watch some shows on-demand, and get a wider selection of movies than the rabbit ears offered. Maybe I need to really see what it has to offer before I arrive at my conclusion...

I don't know. Whatever. It's just teevee...<

No comments: