Tuesday, July 25, 2006

SureFire selections

I'd heard for years about these amazing lights, but didn't really think I had enough need for a EDC flashlight.

It wasn't until I started hearing about the E1E Executing Elite that I started to pay attention. The thought of clipping an extremely light, extremely dependable, extremely bright light to my pocket and forgetting about it was something I could get behind.

As I did some research I found out just how incredibly tough these are, I realized that a flashlight of the proper size could double as a modest kubaton or fistload. With this in mind, I started looking at SureFire's product line only to find that they were ahead of me already.


The E2D executive defender. With the striking bezel the flashlight becomes a bit more than a modest kubaton. Additionally, I read about the use of light as a tool of disoriented to gain the upper hand or surprise opponents. (Important notes on that can be found here) The idea of temporarily blinding an opponent and following up with a fistloaded blow to the chin (for a quick KO), or a cutting strike to the forehead (for inflicting a non-life-threatening, but seemingly serious cut to the head) seemed fool proof.

The icing on the cake was that the flashlight was not an obvious self-defense tool, making it immune to restrictions on weapons. In courthouses, at schools, or on planes, you could have the upper hand. Though there is some grey area around items bearing aggressive lines similar to more intentional impact devices. But since those same aggressive lines also serve a function, it could be argued that you did not purchase the flashlight as a defense device. It could also be argued that other flash lights bear seemingly aggressive shapes/features that are intended to preserve regular function, and protect the light.

It's definitely next on my list.

No comments: