Monday, July 31, 2006

Choosing a shotgun

I've been in the market for a shotgun ever since I picked up my first handgun. The fact that the AR build came before the shotgun purchase was, I'm (kind of) sad to say, fun over function. But since my AR is now complete, my thoughts return to the ultimate implement of home defense; the room broom.

I knew a decent shotgun could be picked up for under $400, but that was just about all I knew. Some cursory searches revealed that the 870 is the most popular the weapon of choice, and weighing in at easily under $400, I knew I wouldn't need to pay a lot for the name.

A Rem 870 is almost too classic and ubiquitous not to buy, but I kept hearing about the Benelli Nova. The only notable differences (that I could find) are the improved sights on the Nova, and the use of polymer on the Nova. Though those points alone don't outweigh the 870's legendary stature.

Thinking about it now, maybe I'm giving too much credence to the legendary level of the 870. I DID pick up a newly developed XD over the "tried and true" reliability of the Glock (though barely). If newer is not automatically better, why should older be any different?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not just the sights and polymer. The Nova cycles faster, has more ergonomic controls, recoils lighter and points better. Do I have scientific data to back that? No. But I'll never buy a pump gun not made by Benelli again.

Fletch said...

Your comment on sights is noted, however, my thoughts were that a shotgun with sights could be a bit more versatile.

Should I find the need to "reach out and touch someone" beyond the range of buckshot, I want to be sure that my slugs will find their target. Sights should ensure that, and I don't think I sacrifice anything by getting a shotgun that has them.

The flashlight is required, as the BG will always get the benefit of the doubt in California. Were I to shoot an intruder in conditions of poor visibility, the family would probably sue me for shooting their son when he was probably just returning my wallet, or was looking for his dog, and found the door to be open... BAH!

Fletch said...

You're right. I DID specify that I was looking for a room broom, but failed to mention in my previous comment that reaching out and touching someone was not something that would happen in a home-defense situation.

I was suggesting that the shotgun could be used in situations other than home-defense (even though that was the point of my post), and should have noted otherwise.