Saturday, March 24, 2007

Spotting

I decided to break from my usual cardio routine and do a little lifting. I haven't lifted in a very long time, but I wan't overly concerned with being overly strong.

The way I lift is, I try to destroy myself. I lift until I can't lift any more (literally, the bar won't move) for two sets, and then on the last set I go till I can't go any more, then I ask for a spot and do two more. These last two usually have very little influence from me, but I still try. This type of lifting causes very good results for me.

I didn't want to bulk up any more, so I decided I'd just tone. I bench pressed for four sets, and gradually lowered the weight until I was straining to lift the empty bar.

I was closing in on my last few when I realized I had no one to spot me. I looked around, and spotted a few guys, but only one was close enough to hear me. He was one of those guys ubiquitous to weight rooms, short but big, wearing a beanie-cap North by North-West at a forward cant, with slight yaw, walking in slow motion while bobbing his head, exagerating his lifting grunt, and constantly looking around to see if anyone is "chekin' he aouttt".

I'm a little hesitant of asking this guy, but I figure we're still in a weight room, and you would just turn down someone asking for help.

"Hey, give me a spot?"
*looks at me incredulously* "Psssh." *smiles*
"Naw, really, spot for my last two?"
"Ha." *bobs his head, and turns away*
(is this guy "too sexy for his spot?")
"I'm not kiddin', c'mon, gimme a spot."
"Pssssh. Ask a woman." *gets up, and takes a slow, exagerated walk away*
"Ooooh-kay..."

No comments: