Thursday, August 24, 2006

Re-zeroing and some "active" shooting

I've been extending my AR research, and have found some useful information that I'd like very much to put into practice. Mainly tips on handling, proper zeroing for carbines, tips on troubleshooting, and more.

The only problem is, the nearest range that will allow me to shoot a rifle is just far enough away to be an inconvenience, and charges more than I'd be willing to pay to spend an hour or two fiddling with my AR. So, my baby was developing a case of closet fever...

So I decided to let her stretch her legs a bit!

I'm going to be going up to the Victorville quarry on Saturday morning (only time I can go and not have to bother with traffic) so I can do all those lovely things I wanted to do.

I found this site with tons of AR info, here. Including how to make some of your own reactive targets, the improved battlesight zero, and plenty more. Lots of how to articles, and plenty of pictures for those who need them! So, I'll be constructing some reactive targets, and zeroing my rifle at 50 yards for uber-carbine-ability.

I didn't invite anyone else along as I knew I was planning on doing some drilling with the AR and the XD, and didn't want another soul around to worry about. But it strikes me that I may want to reconsider... The desert isn't the best area to be without someone to get help, but I think I'll be OK.

If I don't come back; sack a 'yote for me...

1 comment:

defiant_infidel said...

Great post, Thing! The AR site is of particular interest and I will peruse it further when time permits... thanks. Thanks from my wife, too (the AR is her favorite rifle... although she keeps asking how come we can't have a full auto version like her pet M16 from her Army days!). I think I am going to spend some quality time feeding some IMR 3031 handloads using my favorite Barnes X 500 grain solid to my Contender in 45-70 Govt. over the long weekend. It's big fun to clang a 12" x 16" steel plate at 250 yards with! Yahoo! God bless the USA!