Monday, July 24, 2006

Lax gun safety from the professionals

I went to the range last Sunday and found it busy as usual. I walked in and found both clerks busy with customers. One was getting someone signed up, the other seemed to be troubleshooting a Glock for a member. I was in no hurry, so I sat on the bench and waited.

I listened to the clerk explain to the owner that his Glock needed something or other on the guide rod, and he replaced the slide, and racked it a number of times to make sure the action was smooth. He then walked to the shelf behind him, and picked up a rag to clean off the oil-covered Glock. While he was walking to the shelf his finger was on the trigger, and the action of the pistol was closed. I wondered if he was de-cocking it by pulling the trigger. He picked up the rag, finger still on the trigger, and began cleaning the oil off of it. I was perturbed, and stared at him to catch eyes with him. He idly cleaned the pistol, finger still on the trigger, muzzle pointed down at about a 45 degree angle, and looked around the room. I pointed at the ceiling with my index finger, thinking he would immediately know what I meant, and correct himself. We caught eyes, and he looked at me for a moment and seemed confused as he continued to clean the pistol with his finger on the trigger. I began to pull the imaginary trigger with my index finger thinking he would surely understand the gesture. He didn't.

He stopped cleaning the pistol, and raised it slightly so it was pointed at me; "Uh, hi." Not wanting to believe that he was inadvertently pointing a gun at me with his finger on the trigger I just shook my head.

"Can I help you?"
"You can help me by not pointing that muzzle at me, and taking your finger off the trigger."

"What, this?" He said as he held the pistol up with the rag still draped over it. "My finger's off the trigger," He said as he removed the rag to reveal his finger, now off the trigger. "I wouldn't clean a loaded gun, I'm not an idiot." he joked. "Doesn't matter." I said, shaking my head again. "Hey," a bystander said jovially, trying to break the tension, "No one behind this counter is an idiot. Hah."

I looked away, sore that I'd been blown off, and the counter activities returned to normal. The other clerk walked out from behind the counter, and walked up to me.

"Shooting today?"
"definitely."
"Mind if I check this ammo?"
"Certainly." He stepped in, and picked up the box of ammo.
"Is this what I think it is?" He said, pointing to the side of the box.
"What?" I asked, leaning in to read what he was pointing at.
"I'm sorry about that." He said in a low voice.
"What?"
"I've talked to him about it before..."
"Oh." I said realizing he didn't want the other clerk to hear. "Well, rules are rules for a reason."
"I know, but I gotta work with the guy..."
"I see."
"I'll get you signed in. Need any targets?"
"Ten number ones, please."
"Why don't I just give these to you, and you can give back whatever's left."
"Thanks."

So, was I wrong to take the clerk's accident so seriously?

I sure don't think so.

Just because you're well trained in safe gun handling doesn't mean that the rules suddenly don't apply to you. Sure, once you're comfortable with the rules, and develop good handling skills, it gets to the point that you hardly have to think about it. But that shouldn't make you think that you are exempt from the rules or that you don't have to apologize for not being mindful of the rules (especially rule 1).

I was annoyed that the clerk played off his violation of the rules, but I was more upset that his co-worker knew it was wrong, and put up with it. What, it's not his problem? People are reluctant to point out faults in those they have common dealings with for fear that it will affect their relationship. While this may be acceptable in most cases, I think safe gun handling should never be one of those cases.

The bottom line is that accidents are called accidents for a reason.

Skilled or unskilled; young or old; this side of the counter or that; there is no excuse for lax firearm safety.

1 comment:

defiant_infidel said...

Right on, E.T.! I am also HYPER sensitive as to where the trigger finger is and where the muzzle is at all times. It is a huge (healthy) pet peeve of mine.

I must say you handled the situation with more civility and good manners than I could have possibly mustered. It would instantly enrage me that he attempted to paint you "imagining" what you knew you saw. Would you say something like that for no reason? Very liberal like to even try. Fuzzy bullshit like that has no place around firearms.

I would have had to ask dipshit #2 covering for the dumbass what excuse he was planning on offering to the bleeding individual hit by the round callously discharged in the future. Hopefully, the victim lives so he can sue the asshole out of dipshit #1.