Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Todd Lizotte, microstamping patent holder? Is that you?

This is a little roundabout; but stick with me, it's worth it...

I was perusing my sitemeter, and saw an odd search that found its way to one of my quotes of the day...


Snipped version, clicky for full version

A couple of things stood out about this search;
1. Microstamping is fucking retarded, and the only people who care about it are gunnies who don't want it, and legislators who do want it. Regular people could care less about the specifics of a technology before they vote or don't vote for it.
2. This was a blog search. This means the searcher was not interested in the technology, but was interested in what people think about the technology.

It linked to a recent Quote of the Day wherein I quoted an old post from Bruce about the futility, and stupidity of microstamping.

I thought it was odd, and moved on.

A few minutes later, I have a new comment on the microstamping quote of the day post. I figured it would be a simple "Rah!" or "Boo!" but was surprised to see a carefully written rewrite of the exchange Bruce developed. A surprisingly thoughtful comment to be left by the enigmatic and ubiquitous Anonymous.

I was impressed.

I read it three times, and began picking it apart for my reply. The comment was reasoned well, and was written with a considerable amount of knowledge about the technology, but it missed the small picture. At first I though it was written by law enforcement since it was so keen on the big-picture role microstamping could play in charging large crime syndicates. But when I saw that that was all Anonymous could offer, I realized he couldn't be a cop, because a cop understands criminals. And criminals are not all members of complicated crime syndicates. They're simple creatures. For every one member of a complex criminal enterprise there are probably thousands who are not.

I stopped writing, and realized Bruce might be better suited to take this apart, and sent him a comment.

After it was off my plate, I went back and read it again. Then I thought about the search I had seen earlier. Who was this guy?

I saw Anonymous was from New Hampshire, which is big-L libertarian country, which made it even stranger. What the hell?

A google search revealed the following;
GunWeek.com
... conservative Republican from New Hampshire" who makes annual contributions to NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. He promised that the Microstamping ...

That's odd.

*clicky*

[Todd] Lizotte is a member of the National Rifle Association, and a self-described "Second Amendment guy and a Castle Doctrine guy; a conservative Republican from New Hampshire" who makes annual contributions to NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. He promised that the Microstamping technology would be provided royalty-free to firearms manufacturers with gunmaking facilities in the United States.


Curiouser and curiouser.
Who is Todd Lizotte?

Curiously, that news release was forwarded by the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence. Todd Lizotte, who owns the patent on this technology, told Gun Week that the gun control group distributed the news release because "they have looked at the technology as being useful."


It couldn't really be him though... Could it?

The only extra information I had was the city Anonymous came from; Londonderry. The city is not always accurate, so I didn't think I'd get any more information.

Surprise, surprise, Todd's linkedin profile popped up.

So, where was Londonderry?
Todd Lizotte’s Experience

*
US Director of Emerging Technology
Hitachi Via Mechanics USA

(Public Company; 10,001 or more employees; Nanotechnology industry)

October 2003 — Present (5 years)

Mr. Lizotte is the US Director of Emerging Technology, of Hitachi Via Mechanics (HVUS) in Londonderry NH.


So what does Hitachi Via Mechanics have to do with microstamping?

Google pops up a Londonderry news article...
Todd Lizotte, whose office at Hitachi Via Mechanics in Londonderry overlooks Manchester Airport, is the principal inventor of "microstamping," which can be used to inscribe identifying marks on a gun's firing pin, leaving a tiny imprint on bullets and casings shot from the gun.


So, uh, Todd? Is that you?

I understand it was just before 5pm over there, and since you didn't come from a Hitachi Via Mechanics IP range, I can only assume you're at home (long day eh?). Are you really so worried about your technology that you have to spend your free time searching blogs for people writing negative things about your panacea?

Why go anonymous? You're a big boy. I'm a big boy. Bruce, the original author of the quote is a big boy. We can talk about this like men. You disagree with the sentiment of the post, and have spoken your piece. Revealing your identity would only make me take your comment more seriously. Why hide? Aren't you proud of your baby? Don't you want the opportunity to defend it?

So Todd? Do you really want to talk about Microstamping? Or do you just want to hit-and-run?

4 comments:

Fletch said...

Hmmm... No answer at his extension, guess he really was at home.

Can't find an e-mail for him, and don't want to just guess at it... yet...

JP said...

I laugh at any attempt to justify microstamping. I tend to reply with "I musta shot the thing so much the stamping wore off." I think Todd is in the same boat as T.Boone Pickens.
Come up with an Idea and develope it some. . . but if the govt doesn't pass a few laws, and toss a few bones (i.e. grants and subsidies) they stand to lose a ton of money. If the idea is so grand, talk the people into doing it without the gov't help.

Anonymous said...

I love internet detective work, and if he does read this; to say microstamping is retarded is an insult to retards.

Kent McManigal said...

Microstamping: Stupid and really easy to defeat. Plus, a great way to frame someone for a crime they didn't commit. So many flaws; so much evil.