Monday, September 08, 2008

I may want to ban guns, but it's OK because I don't have the votes!

Barack [redacted] Obama's "pro-gun stance" stumbles.

Obama: 'I'm Not Going to Take Your Guns Away'

Obama trotted out his standard policy stance, that he had a deep respect for the "traditions of gun ownership"

Ah yes, the "traditions of gun ownership." You know, like kissing under the mistletoe.

...but favored measures in big cities to keep guns out of the hands of "gang bangers and drug dealers" in big cities "who already have them and are shooting people."

You know what stops gang bangers and drug dealers who already have guns and are shooting people? LOCKING THEM UP. If someone commits a violent crime, lock them up and throw away the key. All us bitter clingers are consistently anti-crime. Of course, if you really cracked down on all those gang bangers and drug dealers, it would be viewed as racism as soon as the first minority was picked up, and that's not good "race relations" now, is it?

"If you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it," Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room.

Gun owners in the past few decades have tempered their political ear to a perfect pitch. When a politician says anything other than,
"Read my lips; no gun bans, no confiscation of any kind, no new gun laws. I say this under oath, and under threat of perjury." it is ignored.

Do you really think those gun owners are stupid? (hell, you probably do) Do you think that when you say, "If you've got a gun in your house, I'm not taking it." that they hear, "Your guns are safe"? They heard exactly what you said, and translated it into, "No buying new guns."

Barack [redacted] Obama then realizes that them bitter clingers ain't buyin' it, and concedes that he might want to take their guns away.

"Even if I want to take them away, I don't have the votes in Congress," he said.

Note that this quote is present tense. I may be reading too much into it, but shouldn't this quote read, "Even if I wanted to take them away, I wouldn't have the votes in Congress"?

That aside; "Well, you see, even if-- hypothetically, and in some alternate universe-- I DID want to take your guns-- which I don't, so really, there's no reason for me to even entertain this notion-- I wouldn't be able to! Because other people would stop me!" Very reassuring.

Then he somehow manages to muster four (count 'em, four) statements to further alienate gun owners!

"This can't be the reason not to vote for me.

Wrong. It can, and will be. You know it, and you're lying. You're green, but your not THAT green.

Can everyone hear me in the back?

Every gun owner in America hears you loud and clear. Volume is not the problem, it's the source.

I see a couple of sportsmen back there.

"Sportsmen" has become a four letter word to most gun owners when coming from a politician talking about guns. "Sportsmen" is the word that brought us "Sporting use" legislation that could easily ban ALL semi-automatics. The people who politicians view as "sportsmen" need only 50 rounds a year, and a bolt action rifle or non-pump shotgun. Everything else has no "legitimate sporting use" and is subject to bans. (not to mention ammunition restrictions, and heavy taxation and regulation) That BO even used the term speaks volumes to his lack of understanding of gun owners.

I'm not going to take away your guns."

Say it with me; "No buying new guns."

"No buying new guns" is the short phrase that sums up legislative action to ban block purchase of new guns through regulation and legislation. These laws include blocking guns under the guise of "safety" requirements. California, for example, has approved legislation that requires handguns adhere to safety standards that DO NOT EXIST. Let me repeat that; California legislators have voted to approve laws that require guns have safety features that do not exist in any firearm on the market. These and other safety requirement are all apparently so safe that they specifically exclude law enforcement.

Guns will not be banned outright, they will be legislated and regulated into non-existence. Much like DC was until recently; it was legal for you to own or buy a gun, but other laws prevented you from buying one elsewhere, and all the local gun stores were closed down. You will be able to own guns, you just won't be able to buy them.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I still don't know why people can't hear this...