Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Just like the good old days...

Ever since I read Art of the Rifle Reading Jeff Cooper's thoughts on the role and characteristics of a rifleman made me rethink the way I thought about my rifles. I thought about how much training and familiarity I really had with my rifles, and rethought the things I thought I needed. I was afraid I was on the path to becoming one of those guys who has lots of cool toys, but doesn't really appreciate the skill that goes into operating them. I wanted to get back to basics. To me, this was an old bolt action rifle. As I looked up history on some of these rifles I read about men like Simo Häyhä, who did amazing things with a simple m28 Mosin. He didn't need any holographic sights, forward grips, or space-age polymers; hell, he didn't even need a scope to become the most accomplished sniper in WW2. I scoffed at my plans for adding a 4 rail handguard and an EOTech to my AR. Sure, my AR wouldn't be très chic, but I figured that after I start back at the beginning, if I still want these things, I'll get them. Until then, I'll master my iron sights, proper shooting position, and trigger pull.
It's not about firing; it's about shooting.

I was decided on an old rifle, so I started the weeks and weeks of compulsive research I do whenever trying to develop a base of knowledge about a new topic. As I began to get a better feel for the characteristics, idiosyncrasies, strengths, and weaknesses of these rifles I began to develop an idea of what rifle would be closest to what I'm trying to find. I decided on a Finnish M39, easily one of the best rifles to come out of WW2. My research lead me to many places that sold these rifles, and when I saw one I liked with some minor cosmetic damage and a great bore, I snatched it up. [pictured right, and here] The rifle was captured from invading Soviets by the Finns, and reworked to meet the high standards of the Finnish military. From what I've read, M39s had to make 1.5" groups at 150 meters or they were not used.

The rifle I chose was built on a receiver made prior to 1900, which qualified it for antique status. This meant the rifle was not subject to shipping restrictions or fees associated with the transfer of firearms. It will be shipped through the mail to my door. Just like the good old days...

No comments: