Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Concealed Carry Problem

As some of you know I'm planning on getting my CCW permit. I've been sweating how I'm going to carry, since every position I could get the holsters into maintained a noticeable bulge in places that couldn't be excused as folds of a shirt or jacket. Unhelpful was the fact that I was not a slender person. I have a bit of a spare tire which allowed me to carry Mexican at 12 o'clock (though uncomfortably), but kept me from carrying at 3 o'clock since my sides stuck out beyond my waist, and pushed the handle of the gun out to print on my clothing. Worse was the fact that I usually wore baggy jeans or shorts that rode a bit below my waist. (Not hanging below my ass or anything, just loose and low) I didn't like wearing a belt, and carrying a gun usually means wearing a belt. I figured I'd have to start wearing a belt, and changing the way I dress to be able to successfully conceal a weapon.

What I was trying wasn't working, so I started doing some research... Months later I'd made some progress.

The closer the gun is to your body, the less it will print, and the lighter it will seem. The smaller a gun is, the less it will print. Shoulder holsters are basically worthless. Leather beats kydex for in-waist-band holsters. Get a good belt and dress in layers to reduce printing. And most importantly, dress around the gun! Carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable!

Um... great.

I could get some of the cheap holsters (that came with my handguns) to not print, but only if I cinched the belt down to an uncomfortable degree. I didn't want to carry around a mouse gun if I didn't have to. (not that I have anything against mouse guns; they have their place, but I didn't want to have to have one as my primary carry simply because I couldn't make a full size work for me) Shoulder holsters are complicated, cumbersome, and feel heavy. In-waist-band (IWB) is usually uncomfortable if you don't have the figure of a slender reed. I don't like wearing belts, and dressing is layers is hard when you live in Huntington Beach where 75 degrees is about as cold as it gets any season. (Heh, as if we had seasons...) I was not looking forward to dressing around anything, or changing the way I usually dress to be armed. Frankly, the statement that carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable struck me as a bad attitude to have...

Another issue I had was the fact that actually have a butt, which made sure that anything that went between my pants and my ass would stick out like a sore thumb. This made carrying any full-sized (or even compact) gun from 4 to 8 o'clock almost impossible, not to mention the uncomfortable prospect of sitting. After reading Tam's post it was clear that I should carry the gun in a way that wouldn't require me to unholster and reholster when sitting for extended periods (work or driving). Which seemed to make most positions except 12 and 3 o'clock undoable with my 5" 1911.

So I picked up a few different types of holsters to see how they fitted (just to get an idea, the good holsters are expensive), and saw no way I could properly conceal anything other than with an IWB and a belt, or an OWB and a belt squeezing the hell out of me. (not to mention buying new clothes) As I tried different configurations with a paddle holster and IWB this high, or that high, with a cant or without, I just got pissed and gave up.

So, frustrated with the seemingly inescapeable prospect of changing how I dress to legally carry (to carry, the gun MUST be concealed), I took my 1911 out of the holster, removed the chafing paddle holster, took off my belt and my jeans, and put on my casual, loose shorts and a t-shirt. Then I picked up the full-sized 1911, and shoved it into my waistband at 3 o'clock, and was amazed.

Since my shorts were low on my waist, the grip was below my side, which pushed my t-shirt out and kept it loose over the gun. The curvature of my side at 3 o'clock made the butt of the gun print, but since the gun was so low, it only looked like a small hard object on my beltline at 4 o'clock. Under the shorts the long slide went straight down the side of my thigh without printing one bit. The shorts fell loosely over the slide and only caused the slightest protrusion, but no printing. Even if I shifted my hips, the end of the barrel pushing my shorts out to a minor point that was easily dismissed. I tried to push the gun down further into my shorts, but found that I could only do it if I pulled my shorts up to get slack, and held them out as I pushed the gun down. It was getting caught on grip corner closest to the trigger, and seemed very solid. I put on my jeans without the belt and found the 1911 carried exactly the same way. If I gave the gun a forward cant the barrel caught the curve of my pants and brought the butt of the gun in even more (though it was higher). I grabbed my 4" XD and put it in my waistband and found that it did not conceal as well as the 5" 1911 (I guess the 1911s really do live up to their reputation!) Could I really carry Mexican primarily?

Um.. No? Well... probably not.

Getting a clipdraw would keep the gun from coming loose during activity, and falling down my pant leg (oops), but wouldn't keep bending or other activity from pushing the gun up. I'm afraid that if I get a nice leather IWB it will add unnecessary bulk to the slide and make it obvious that something was under my clothing, plus most require a belt. Right now it's between the Comp-Tac and the Milt Sparks VersaMax II. The Comp-Tac, is thin, fits at 3 o'clock, and is very adjustable. Unfortunately it is kydex and may require a belt (I suspect I can fabricate something to avoid that). The Milt Sparks VMII comes highly promoted, is good at 3 o'clock, is supposed to be very comfortable, and can take kydex tuckable (beltless) clips. Unfortunately it isn't as adjustable as the C-Tac, it seems to keep the gun higher than the C-Tac, and the leather might add too much bulk to the slide. Fortunately, someone already did this comparison here, which gave me quite a bit of insight, but didn't help me make up my mind...

Well, knowing the turnaround time on a CCW in Orange County (without a stalker and a restraining order), I'll have plenty of time to make up my mind before I need to make a decision.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who had similar problems when I started carrying, I will say that these trepidations will just seem to disappear when you finally get used to carrying everyday.

The only difference is that the more comfortable you make it now, the shorter the time it takes to get used to it..

I carry Mexican with no clip on a Glock 22 (full-size .40 SW) I worried constantly about printing and the gun sliding out of my pants. It was also a little uncomfortable.

5 years later, it has never slid out, and it feels funny if it ISN’T there.

Also, you’ll come to find that John or Jane Q. Public doesn’t pay very close attention, nor do a lot of police. I’m not saying “just carry any old way, and you’ll be fine”, but you’ll see that worrying about it all the time isn’t necessary…

But, I do live down here in Jesus land, maybe we’re just used to people carrying. I’d think that you’d have an easier time with the public there, since the vast majority don’t carry or train themselves to be more alert to their surroundings. The Police on the other hand…

Also, to make you sick, we get our permits the same day we go to get them. It takes about 15 minutes..

Fletch said...

Thanks for your input. It's reassuring to know that some folks DO carry Mexican primarily, though may I ask what condition you carry in?

I kind of know that most people (especially here) would never DREAM of someone other than the Only Ones carrying a gun, and probably still wouldn't suspect it even if it printed perfectly under clothing. It's very likely that I could get away with printing pretty badly. But the danger is that if ANY of the sheeple here catch the tiniest glimpse, you can guarantee that they WILL overreact, and you WILL be having a conversation with an LEO at gunpoint VERY soon... (Huntington Beach PD having a history of... shall we say; "Overreacting", doesn't help the situation either.)

But I know that there ARE a small group of folks like cops, some security guards, other sheepdogs, and some criminals who will spot your weapon at 80% concealed. I'd rather take my time and protect against that 1%, because it's with them that I'll be most concerned.

As to the speed of your aquisition of said permit, I can only shake my head, and say "Damn Kalifornia" as I have on SO many other occasions... (btw, thanks for rubbing it in :)

defiant_infidel said...

I also carry Mexican... I agree it is just a matter of getting used to it.

May I suggest:

this?

Fletch said...

You most certainly may. I was looking at that grip for replacing the grip on my (soon to be purchased) sp101. I was a little bothered that the rubber (ish?) sp101 grip, being a point of comfort for the revolver, would be replaced with the Barami grip which appears to be quite hard.

r_mate_e said...

Just as a note, I carry the Glock without a round in the chamber. With only the trigger safty, and no way to lock it, I'd rather not loose one or both of the family jewels via a negligent discharge...

I practice all the time drawing and racking the slide all in one motion. I figure it slows me down about between .3 and .4 seconds. It might cost me one day, but the extra safty is worht it.

I plan to change carry guns at some point for this very reason..

Fletch said...

Check THIS out...

The trigger safety being the only external safety was why I got an XD

John R said...

Slightly more secure than the Mexican is what I have seen called the "Jamaican" carry (google search did not help), Bend a piece of bailing wire or coat hanger into an "S". One hook of the S goes into the barrel, the other hook goes over the shorts/jeans. It is very secure, but not to be used on a high dollar firearm unless you tape the wire so it does not mess with the muzzle of your barrel.

Fletch said...

That's funny, because I used a small clip (like an "8" folded over itself) with a paracord loop going through for what I called "assisted mexican carry" I think I've got some pics somewhere... Got 'em! I'll post them in a bit...