Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Uncle's neglegent discharge

Responsible gun owners all over hold a healthy fear of an unintentional discharge. Or, what honest gun owners call a negligent discharge.

This is why the four rules are so important. They were crafted in such a way to allow for the fallibility of humans. Humans make mistakes, but the four rules of firearms safety are made in such a way that you need to violate more than one for tragedy to occur.

There are instances where we violate SOME of the rules intentionally. Such as rule 1 for dry firing, or rule 2 to disassemble some firearms. What is important is that when you DO break the rules, it should hurt your brain to do so.

Recently, I visited my sister and noticed she had been playing with one of my old airsoft guns. I chuckled at it, and picked it up to try it out. I removed the magazine and racked the slide to check the chamber... except the chamber didn't open, because it's not a real gun. "Stupid me" I thought, and aimed at a corner of the room. As soon as I started squeezing the trigger I felt wrong. VERY Wrong. Like, about to shoot your friend in the face wrong. My pulse quickened, my anxiety went up, and I couldn't pull the fake trigger on the fake gun. I stopped, and checked the magazine well, and checked the chamber again... except the chamber didn't open... because it's STILL a fake gun. I just put it down. Why break the training for a toy?

No comments: