Friday, January 04, 2008

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Seriously?

I love spicy food, but it wasn't until a recent event that I began to wonder if I love it a bit too much.

My mom made some posole, but added too many habanero peppers and apologized for making it so hot. I assured her it was no problem, and thanked her for making it so spicy. I quickly filled a bowl and went to town. She was right. It was hot. I eat a lot of spicy things, and this was extremely spicy. It was a challenge to finish the bowl, and was a very enjoyable (somehow).

A few days later, I returned to finish the soup and mentally prepared myself as I prepared the soup. I also commented aloud at the spicy damage I was about to inflict upon myself. I withdrew the reheated soup from the microwave and placed it on the table, sat, and stared at the hazardous soup.

Then, in what hindsight can only conclude as an attempt at self torment, I formulated a sentance that must have originated from a deeply detached part of my brain, and understanding fully how this soup treaded dangerously upon my limit for spicy food, said;

"Maybe I should add some Tabasco."

My girlfriend looked at me in disbelief, "What?!" It took a little bit for me to realize the implications of what I'd just suggested out loud. I say a lot of weird things, but this really confused me. "What the fuck is wrong with me???"

Why DO I like spicy food? I usually order the spice level of my food with words like, incapacitating, deathly, or coma-inducing. This crossed a line somehow. Why do I do this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you even be able to NOTICE Tabasco on top of Habaneros?

James R. Rummel said...

Most of the stuff that we perceive as being spicy hot has zero nutritional value. So why would anyone crave it physically? It certainly doesn't help the body keep going in any way.

Sugary and fatty foods are calories, and even if the body doesn't need them right away those foods are easily broken down and stored as fat in case they are needed later. But hot spices?

I was reading an article about 25 years ago, when the fascination with hot spices and different kinds of peppers was just taking off in the US. The author speculated that the appeal was because the hot taste caused the release of endorphins in our brain. (Brain: "3rd degree burns on the tongue! Release endorphins to try and stave off the onset of shock!")

So you wanted to put Tabasco in your too hot soup because you are a filthy junkie.

Might as well just mainline a chipotle, and then you're going to start turning tricks on the street for jalapenos. You'll spend all your money on nachos at the local 7-11 because they let you put as many peppers on as you want, and you'll be kicked out of your house because you can't make rent. It won't be long after that you start going through the dumpster at the Taco Bell, sucking almost empty packets of "Fire" sauce for the last few drops. Eventually the cops will find you frozen to death on a park bench with a half eaten habanero clutched in your fist.

Spice addiction. I've seen it before. It is always ugly when it finally ends.

James