Monday, January 03, 2011

Happy new year!

I'll be starting my new job tomorrow. It's going to be nice returning to the routine.

As I said this to my wife, I stopped just before the word "routine" because it seemed odd to crave routine, but she completed the sentence for me correctly. It seems odd to me, but I guess there isn't really a problem with it.

Since I worked evenings before, and am a bit of a night owl, I'm still trying to adjust to the morning schedule. Getting to work 20 miles away at 8am in rush hour means waking up at 5:45, and I haven't been a morning person for quite some time. But if it turns out the commute and hours are the toughest thing about the job, that'll be just fine with me.

The new job will mean less free time (than unemployment?), but I want to keep the list of things I wanted to do with my free time while unemployed. I'm trying to break them up into smaller tasks to make it easier to make progress, and eventually do them.

Speaking of free time, since I knew I actually had a job, I've actually been able to enjoy my free time. With some unexpected cash, we've been living pretty normally this last week. Seeing movies, playing games, hanging out, drinking with friends, etc.

I had planned trip to the desert after my birthday, at first it looked like it was going to be a big group, then one by one, they were picked off by other engagements, and when we were down to the reliable two who always go, they were pulled away literally at the last hour. So we're pushing it off to some later date. But gathering everything together and trying to decide what to bring and what to leave home made me realize I needed to focus on some of my guns more. So instead of dividing my attention on range trips, I think I'll only pick one gun per trip, and use it exclusively. Top contenders for the next trip are M39 and the SKS. The problem is, I have a to do list for the range, zeroing, testing bullet drop, testing mags or ammo, and technically those things should be a higher priority than getting really good with specific guns. Right? I dunno. Maybe I'm thinking too much about all this.

Oh yeah, ordered that one thing. Can't wait to try it out. But I really just want to get some dirt under my feet, and some trees at my sides

2 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Happy end of first-week of work!

Fletch said...

Thanks DC, it's great so far.