Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Warwalking

My preliminary warwalk of our appartment was unsuccessful.

However, later I saw a network pop up, and made a few more passes around the appartment. There are three networks broadcasting SSID with 0 <-zero encryption... oh... and they're running DHCP, to make your illegal access to the internet even easier...

AND... One of the access points is still at (completely) factory default... With my knowledge of default passwords, I could get access to their wireless router and perform wholely anti-social things with it.

IF...

...I were so inclined.
But that would not be very advantageous of me to do so, because that would deny me of the possiblity of connecting to their network and accessing the internet for free. (which is illegal to do on purpose) However, with my limited knowledge of computers :-> I wouldn't know what network I was connected to anyways!

Windows does the "hacking" for you anyways... It automatically selects any open wireless access point and connects to it for you. Some people get their own wireless access point and wind up accessing the internet on their neighbor's network and not even know it!

Way to code microsoft... way to code...

But anyways, one detail I neglected to mention, is that the best connection I can get to one of those three open (and one secure) networks... Is about a 5%... It goes drops in and out so much there's no use in even trying to access the internet.

But...

The wireless card that I have is rather old, and my friend was able to connect (strongly, might I add) to one of the networks broadcasting via DHCP public IP addresses... wow... that's just wrong... Although, I think I know where my server will be... :)

I'm looking forward to getting back on the internet once I get a kick-ass card

I hate people who say "NIC Card" Don't they know that the "C" in NIC stands for CARD?!... SERIOUSLY!...

Ok, now that that's out in the world, and on the internet for all to see... the healing can begin. Lets start the Hug Circle!

No comments: