Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What has two thumbs and just got laid off?

THIS guy...



I'm excited.

I've been kind of looking for a new place for a while, and I haven't been challenged there in two years. I think the change was overdue.

My boss didn't want to do two weeks, so right afterward, I showed him and an ex-coworker how to manage some of the undocumented scripts and automation I had done for our patch server, and went over some of the other undocumented job functions I had been doing since our previous round of lay-offs. Then I signed out for my phone (god, I hated that phone) and card, and my former boss and I went out to the parking lot and talked for an hour about the company and my honest opinion of him, my coworkers, and the CEO.

I wasn't a dick about any of that stuff because I didn't feel upset. Like I said, I was excited. I told him he needed to delegate more before he wound up in an early grave. I told him he was trying to balance the company on his shoulders, without asking for any help, and it was taking its toll on him. I told him how one of my coworkers was truly suffering from the low pay. I told him how the CEO revealed to me that he was bored with the job. I told him how it was a privilege to watch the company learn and grow over the 7 years (this month!) I worked there.

Then I shook his hand, said goodbye, turned around, looked up at the sky, breathed the free air, and felt great.


On to the next adventure...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, I'm sorry to hear that, and good luck. Sounds like you're not too worried, a good place to be.

If I lost my job I'd probably have to deploy to Afghanistan (as a reserve officer) to be able to support the family, or end up teaching English in Asia.

It's cool, however, to fantasize about opening up a gun shop and making a living at that...

Davidwhitewolf said...

Wow. Good luck! I'm sure your friendly (and trust me, that's very valuable to any employer, not to mention the honest talk which is worth gold) method of separation will pay dividends in the future -- karmic if not otherwise.

Should you need a glowing letter of reference, don't hesitate to let me know.

DaddyBear said...

Good Luck ET. If you want to start shopping your resume around, shoot me a copy and I'll put it in with our HR department.

blogagog said...

Ouch. Luck, bud.