Monday, October 11, 2004

Perceived (sp?) Value

Listen carefully, because this is going to make you a lot of money...

I do pen testing for our customers, this consists on doing some generic footprinting some port scanning, and kicking off a nessus scan.

The next morning you reap the results and mold it into a 5 page (webpage) report, which includes a "manager summary" inwhich you present the results in an understandable (read: as non-technical as you can get) fashion.

For one of these reports we charge somewhere around two large.

Other "security firms" are doing the same but charging up to 100 times more.

Why? How?

Because they submit their results with a FAT report. When it's presented to the board that "hey we just spent 200 grand on this report" and the report isn't thicker than your head you got problems.

Will it be read? I'd wager not. But the perceived value is what matters. Other than that, it's all fluff.

Will the IT manager request the readers digest version and some actions items? Definitely.

But this is BIG business. In small business, they want it to be cheap and quick, which is yet another service we offer... but if you want to make bank... one big hit and a whole lot of BS later, you got a fat wad in your business pocket.

Guess what I want to do for a living...?

1 comment:

Maverick said...

Hey, this is in response to a long comment you made in on Anne Alone's bog. I'm copying it for you, too. Hope you get something out of it.

------

Reading more through your blog now.... Responding to Existing Things comments

Depression is most definitely affected by the chemicals in your brain. In it's most simplest form, the chemical that makes your sleepy and lethargic (it's seratonin - and I don't remember, but I think it's in milk (?) is being taken up by your brain again and again, so it's on overload -- over and over again, the same old low energy, depressed mood, etc. Imagine this, if you can, subjectively.

Medicines called SSRIs prevent the seratonin from being taken up again and again, and hopefully establishes a more balanced flow, like should normally exists.

I have had a depressive episode which kept me in bed for two straight weeks, and even the thought of it now terrifies me, because I'm always afraid it will come back. I have studied this quite a bit, even in my classes in college -- so that it makes sense for me, and so that I can feel like I have some control over it. Knowledge is power.

I think, further, that the constant depressed feeling -- the actual physical sensation of weariness -- is exasperated by a negative perspective, or something I read about once called Depressive Personality, which I don't think is a pscyhological classification, yet. Poor self-esteem might contribute to that. But, just consider all of these things together, and imagine why - objectively - how it wouldn't seem much of a reason to live, without any hope that things might get better.

But, trust me, things can, and they do. They got better for me, even though it was a long haul. I don't feel completely great, mind you, but I have a happy life where I'm participating in the greater world outside. Even though I am still somewhat introverted, I'm actually very pleased to realize that I am quite a social person. It was just hiding under all of that other shit.

Anyway, I've said enough for now. Please do some reading about depression as a chemical imbalance, and about SSRIs. ANY family doctor will happily give you prozac or zoloft because they push the pills - you know? Counseling will also do wonders for your perspective on the world, and give you some positive feedback from someone knowledgable and unbiased. Both should be done together - pills will not do everything for you. Please check it out.