Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Voting for love of country

I was the first one at a the polls in my precinct.

Up early, I finally saw Orion for the first time since we moved. At no other time, early morning or 2am had I found The Hunter since we moved here over four months ago. It was a cathartic experience.

I overdressed for the cold, wearing my heavy coat over the shirt I set out for today. "TAKE BACK YOUR REPUBLIC" and under the striking snake: "TIME'S UP." Normally a little too provocative for my taste, but this is America, so if you don't like it, you don't have to look at it.

It was about 30 degrees, enough for the cold to sting, but not enough for it to bite. One person arrived shortly after me. We stood outside the door and talked about how glad we were to get it over with, while we rocked and fidgeted to keep warm.

Another man joined our vigil. Then another. Then another.

By the time the polls opened there were over 30 people lined up. There were even more by the time I left.

You don't have to bust the doors to vote. They're open from 6am to 6pm. Absentee and early voting is easy. So why did everyone show up?

You know why.

No comments: